Will ghost shrimp eat themselves to death?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bobnova

Apr 11, 2006
I've heard it said that some fish (goldfish, for example) will eat themselves to death if you feed them too much.
Never having had a goldfish, let alone tried to overfeed them, i don't know if it's even true.

But!
I got a couple of Ghost Shrimp for my 10g tank (8 white clouds of varying size, between .5 inches and 1 inch), the tank has been up and running (yes, and cycled, and not with fish at that) for a month, so there is a pretty good amount of misc. debris on in the gravel and on the sides, brownish algea, flakes the filter dumps underwater before the fish get to them, and so on.

It's an aweful lot for two shrimp to try and eat all at once, and i'm wondering if they're dumb enough to eat till they explode, or if they'll realize that they are full, and stop eating.
Kind of an odd question i realize, but there ya go.

On the usual other notes hit upon with newbies (cycling, stocking), i think i'm in good shape, i made sure the tank was cycled before adding fish, and while by the Junk Rule (1" per gallon) i'll be slightly over when all the white clouds are mature, by the better liked X cubic inch of fish for Y surface area, i could have twice the fish, as white clouds are very long and thin. By the looking at it rule, it's about right imo, lots of open space. Lots of plants too, which they deffinitely seem to like.

bencozzy

AC Members
Apr 25, 2006
ive never had any of my ghost shrimp eat theirselves to death.

PeeJay

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Toronto
I find that as my amano shrimps eat, they poop more often. I don’t think the shrimp’s gastrointestinal tract is as complicated than that of a fish so I don’t think they can overeat and explode! The more they eat, the more they poop.

DaveinSF

AC Members
Apr 12, 2005
amanos eating and pooping

PeeJay said:
I find that as my amano shrimps eat, they poop more often. I don’t think the shrimp’s gastrointestinal tract is as complicated than that of a fish so I don’t think they can overeat and explode! The more they eat, the more they poop.
Amen to that. My 3 amanos have eaten, pooped, and grown a TON since I got them. I can put a whole slice of cucumber in there and with the ottos they'll decimate it. In fact, they're such efficient and voracious feeders that I worry about the ottos being able to compete with them for food.

One of my amanos has gotten to be about 1 3/4" long. I really like them and I'll keep getting them.

PeeJay

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Toronto
Yeah, they do grow like crazy, when I first got them, they were less than one inch. After 8 months, they are now at two inches!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store