Will Glowlight Tetras and Neon Tetras Shoal Together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CalBears07

Go Bears!
Mar 28, 2009
Gainesville, FL
I have read that fish of the same size and shape will school together, but I have not found a definite answer on whether Glowlights and Neons will school together or not.

I've read that they will and I have read that they will not. I have 5 Glowlights and I was thinking of adding 5 Neons or Cardinals, but might just get some Red-Blue Colombian Tetras if the Neons and Glowlights will not school.

Anyone have an answer for me?

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
They might but its up to the fish. I have lemons that school with gold tetras but my blacks neons all seem to be loners.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
The black neons are all emo's :[

I second it depending on the fish.
I'd count them more likely not to school together than to school.

Dekk

Keeper of Hybrids
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
I have Neons and Glowlights and they follow each other sometimes, but dont necessarily school together closely. For example a group of neons go from the right side of the tank to the left, the glowlights will follow and vice versa. Its just 1 school following the other school, but not exactly forming 1 large school. Does that make sense? lol.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
I would recommend that if you want a mixed school, you get two independant schools, by which I mean buy at least 6 of each, as opposed to 3 of each and hope they school. Get two schools, and sometimes the two will meld

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
How big is your tank? If you were to put 5 glowlights and 5 neons in a 10 gallon, I think they would school together somewhat. If you put the same groups in a large tank they would more likely form seperate groups.
Personally I prefer to have species stay in their own schools. It's more interesting visually and the fish behave more naturally.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
mine school together whenever they school at all. They won't school at all unless they are scared. If they feel comfortable in the tank, they will wander freely.

CalBears07

Go Bears!
Mar 28, 2009
Gainesville, FL
How big is your tank? If you were to put 5 glowlights and 5 neons in a 10 gallon, I think they would school together somewhat. If you put the same groups in a large tank they would more likely form seperate groups.
Personally I prefer to have species stay in their own schools. It's more interesting visually and the fish behave more naturally.

55 Gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store