Will Plecos eat other fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yogias

www.justgiving.com/susanmoseley
Jan 23, 2007
West Wales, UK
4 of my guppies have disappeared within 24 hrs of the introduction of 'Bert, a 6" Pleco. Is this just coincidence or is there something more sinister going on? There are also 6 mollies and a Siamese Fighter in the tank....Should i be worried? And what about Rex, my 10" Pleco in my Discus tank? Am I likely to find their numbers mysteriously disappearing?

Pagan

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
Cleve, Oh.
4 of my guppies have disappeared within 24 hrs of the introduction of 'Bert, a 6" Pleco. Is this just coincidence or is there something more sinister going on? There are also 6 mollies and a Siamese Fighter in the tank....Should i be worried? And what about Rex, my 10" Pleco in my Discus tank? Am I likely to find their numbers mysteriously disappearing?
A small guppy would be a large, but possible meal for a mature betta.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
have you tested your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? a 6" pleco is a big bioload to add suddenly to a tank. did you quarantine your pleco before you added it to your main tank? there might be more to blame than the fish itself.

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Somewhere or other in my computer I have a picture of a newborn guppy fry hiding between nose and lip of an 18 inch pleco. If he was gonna eat him, he would have. In a nutshell, pleco are oppertunity feeders. They don't chase down food, they don't ambush food. They find it, and then they eat it. If what they find tries to swim off when they go to lunch, it pretty much gets away, unless it's a large, slow, vertical fish, and the pleco is desperately starved. They don't like live foods much at all, with the exception of a few meat eaters, who take shrimp and snails.

As posted in this thread before, get him if you think he's a cool fish, know he's going to grow big, and are willing to keep him fed and clean. Don't get him if you just want clean up crew. A common pleco can be a really nifty fish if you want something you can handfeed zuchini, watch grow, and have as your centerpiece big fish. Not so good if you want a low matienence fish you just drop some flake on and don't have to clean up after.

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
my pleco started trying to eat my fish... :mad2: Everyone kept noticing the different behavor in my fish......the neons always were in a tight school, and the cories where very jumpy and also had a tight school...... then suddenly one corie went missing, couldnt find him ANYWHERE....... pleco was left to blame, and watching him swim around were able to see how violent he was with the other fish.....

So after keeping him for nearly 2yrs......he was taken back to the lfs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store