Will the clay pot in my tank have an effect on my nitrites?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Today, when my cousin came over to hook up my new u.v., he said that maybe tomorrow, if there are still nitrites, I should take out the clay pot I have in the tank. He thinks that maybe the pot is affecting the cycle because it is still not done yet after a month. I don't think that it will do anything.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Clay pots are usually fine to use in tanks (if they've never been used to hold houseplants, and thus could contain chemicals from the soil, etc.). I don't think they affect nitrites at all. Is your tank cycling? The ammonia spike should be followed by a nitrite spike, which will be followed by nitrates. Could that explain your nitrites?

-- Pat

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Yes, it's the same tank, 1 month of cycling as of yesterday. When I first take the test, the color is around 1, but then goes to .50, then to .25 in a few minutes time. It's been doing the same thing for about 2 weeks now. I haven't had ammonia in a little over 2 weeks.

No, the pot was never used before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store