will this work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
I'm gonna set up a 100 gallon tank really soon and im wanting a breeding group of Peacocks for sure im just wondering if it would work if i put two different species in the tank.......I dont want any hybrids but im thinking if I put two different breeding colonys they should only fool around with their own kind right?? Lemme know guys THANKS

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
if i had two trios (1male, 2female) would they stay together? i just dont want the species to get crossed an have hybrids

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
General rule of thumb for peacocks is a species only tank. Because the females are very similar in appearance, once mixed will be difficult to tell apart, and even if you will be able to tell them apart visually it won't stop the males from interbreeding.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There are tons of "Peacocks" coming out of SE Asia that are hybrids of different Aulonocara species, and some have Electric Blue Hap, Scianochromis ahli in there too! I had one that looked like an OB Peacock, but the orange looked like something I'd wear hunting, there was bright yellow in the belly and it had a white line down its back. And it had that purple sheen when the light hit it right. All in all a stunning fish, but if you want to keep pure strains don't do it, as strictly speaking it was just a mutt!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
You could go with a colony of Peacock's like 2 males and 8 females in a tank that size and a secondary species could be a lessor aggressive Mbuna like Saulosi or Acei you could go 2 males to 8 females with a secondary species as well..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I agree with Pitt's idea of a setup with a peacock species and a "docile" mbuna species; but IMO, Aceis are the best mbunas to mix with peacocks.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
My experience with peacocks and aceis has been totally weird and opposite. When I was switching the mbuna tank to peacock I still had a couple of aceis, rusty, afra and a yellow lab in it, afra and rusty showed some aggression, but nothing major, I still took them out to make room for more peacocks, thinking that aceis and labs would be a much safer way to go. Well when I got to the blue selection of peacocks and dropped the ngara flame tail and a stuart red shoulder in, the aceis went crazy, there was non stop chasing and nipping from aceis, after about a week of this they went back to the lfs for more trade ins. In the end the only mbuna left was an adult yellow lab, who for the most part kept to himself.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Amazing story, ibr3ak! Definitely, there is nothing you can count as impossible with the mbunas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store