Will warm water shorten the life span of a goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PrincessEarring

AC Members
Apr 22, 2010
Florida
I was reading up on my new goldfish, and found that some people believed that warmer water would could greatly shorten the life span of a goldfish. I am only worried because my tanks temperature is at almost 80 degrees. I live in Florida, where the summers are in the upper 80's to low 90's, and we never use the air conditioning (this is probably the reason I hate Florida so much).
I also read that goldfish need a high oxygen level, and that this is why they do not thrive in warm water. Now, if I increase the airation in my tank by adding some airstones, will this help keep my goldfish healthy? Or, is there another reason for goldfish not being able to thrive in warmer water?
Thank you!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I was always under the impression that warm water = higher metabolism = shorter lifespan. Now that may be a gross misunderstanding or just a huge generalization too. The O2 level is certainly something to keep in mind so any extra surface agitation will help. There are a few ways to keep a tank cooler as well such as floating frozen water bottles in the tank or blowing a fan over the surface of the water.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Why fight a battle your fish can't win? Since your conditions aren't suitable for Goldfish find a fish that your conditions are suitable for. You and the fish will be alot happier.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't know about that SubRosa. Many of the commercial ornamental fish farms are in Florida - I doubt goldfish are excluded from these operations, though perhaps there are fewer of them here, maybe we get most of them from the East? Should we not keep Siberian huskies here in Florida because it gets so hot? If you're only casually interested in goldfish, I agree you should pass on them, but if they are a fish you feel passionate about keeping, and you have the facilities to keep them in every way except for the heat issue (realize that these fish get to 8" and the size of a softball at maturity, so no matter what you've read a 20 gallon tank is not big enough for a full grown fancy goldfish!) then I would say consider a clip on fan to blow across the surface, keeping the aquarium open topped, stuff it full of oxygenating plants (like anacharis, which they will also nibble on) and for the warmest months, consider running a chiller. An inexpensive one can be DIYed if you - or someone you know - is handy: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diychillerplans/DIY_Chiller_Plans.htm

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Goldfish do need plenty of oxygen. If your water temperature is elevating dangerously, then you need to consider aerating the water vigorously. Too high a temperature can greatly reduce oxygen supply and subsequently suffocate your fish. 80 degrees is within tolerable level for fancies for a short time. Ideally, the temperature should be 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit.

You can read here a debate on temperature appropriate for goldfish.

http://thegab.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20834

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
You keeping them in a tank indoors?? .I keep mostly tropical fish both indoors and out . because of the florida heat another is that night herons form a line whenever I put goldfish anywhere outdoors.lol Though I kept goldfish for over 20 years not in a tank.lol. What ya got against warm fish?? gary

modri rogatec

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
yes...In tropical climate goldfish do have shorter lifespans...Just ask the breeders of fancy goldies in Singapore... - they usually don't live past 5 yrs of age...
Admittedly they are fancies and are fed a lot to grow big for the shows tho...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If someone won't run an AC for their own comfort I doubt they' ll run a chiller for their fish. Those farms in FL are all subgrade ponds that use geothermal cooling. Dig down 5 feet anywhere in FL and the soil temp is less than 60 degrees. And imo it is indeed cruelty to keep arctic breeds of dogs in hot climates unless you make some serious provision for their comfort.

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
while many fish farms may be in florida nobody knows (unless somebody here worked at one?) that they dont use chillers through all the tubing that they use.. Infact dont they sometimes cover some of the ponds to block the sunlight on extreme temps?

while oxygen levels may be something to worry about with the shorter lifespan of the goldfish i think its more of the higher metabolism thing that nails it. higher/hotter temps than what any fish is accustomed to would speed up their cellular degeneration & create more free radical cells. Cooler temps are known & proven to slow cell degeneration & in extreme cases actually preserve cells.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store