Will water lily pads continue to grow...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
...If you cut the stalk and leave it hanging in the water? Will the stalk root?

I am setting up a palu for some firebelly toads, and I would love to use some of my lily pads, but my lily is not ready to be divided. If I cut the stalk and let if hang in the water, will it throw roots that I can later plant in the substrate?

I think if no one knows, I am going to give this a shot anyway.

Kristina

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I think they're tuberous, Kyr, but I'm not sure. I think they reproduce like loti.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I know usually you split the rhizome to propgate them, but.... I have a lotus plant that is rooted with no bulb, and and I know that banana plants (which are actually dwarf lilies) can be propagated from the stems of cut pads... But I really have no idea about the hardy lilies.

Kristina

Desertponder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Western Colorado
...If you cut the stalk and leave it hanging in the water? Will the stalk root?
No, they won't. They'll just rott away.

Some tropical lilies are viviparous and they will start new baby plants at the point where the stem meets the pad.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Lotuses without a bulb originate on a bulb and then grow roots independent of the bulb. I make a mint doing that with my lotuses and selling the offshoots at my aquarium society auction. Pinched off leaves just rot.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
All right, thanks :)

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a nice lily rhizome with some shoots coming off it, I will just have to patient for the two or three days it takes them to get to the surface, lol.

Kristina

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
There are certain species that do throw plantlets at the base of their pads, but I doubt any will root from cuttings. Even tuberous division isn't a sure bet. If the particular section doesn't have a growth eye, you're basically SOL.

Woot. Post 2000!!!

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
If the leaf pulled contains a little of the rhizome it will root. I pulled a yellowing leave the other day and it came w/a chunck of rhizome that is starting to root.

Frogbit looks like a lily and could be an option. It spreads freely along the surface and sends out roots along them stem. It will root where ever it touches substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store