Will Zebra and yoyo loaches eat Assassin snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tweetyd

AC Members
Aug 2, 2009
S.NH
I have a few Assassins in with my guppies and cories. I'm getting some Zebra and yoyo loaches. Will they also eat the Assassins? Should I move them to another tank? Or do they like the smaller snails like the pond?

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I wouldn't put any loaches in with any snails you want to keep but maybe a few of the smaller species. I'm sure more of the loach geeks will chime in.

botia

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Connecticut
I am not sure about the assasins with the loaches but they will most likely become lunch.But on a side note I would be careful with the zebra/yoyo's w/ the cory's I had some albinos in with my loaches three of the cory's lost an eye or two the loaches were not aggressive towards them but when feeding on sinking pellets I thinks the cory's eyes got sucked out they all are still alive two with only one eye and one that is blind now he still manages to find food thankfully but now they are in a different tank

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Loaches of the botiine genus are not picky with their choice. Any invertebrate will be relished straight away without reluctance.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I wouldn't put any loaches in with any snails you want to keep but maybe a few of the smaller species. I'm sure more of the loach geeks will chime in.

Pangio loaches are fine (usually). Weather loaches, Kuhlis, etc... the "snake shaped" loaches won't eat snails (usually).

tweetyd

AC Members
Aug 2, 2009
S.NH
I put th Assassins in another tank.Now will the cories go after dwarf shrimp??If they will I either need another tank or they ahve to stay with the loaches. I don't want to lose my shrimp:(

geostima

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2019
According to some sources, zebras shouldnt kill off your assassins. From an excerpt:
"Any fish that live in the lower levels should be peaceful scavengers like zebra loaches, Corydoras catfish, or Otocinclus catfish."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store