Wiring a relay

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Well doing my ato system was easy since I used a small pump and the float switch could handle the wattage of the pump. Well, I want to install another float switch and use it the other way - put it far down in the sump, and it shuts off if the water gets too low. I want to prevent a flood in case the siphon breaks on my overflow box. I bought a switch and a relay, and the relay came without instructions. Basically, all I can figure out is that on one side the inputs are A1 and A2. On the other side, the inputs are 11, 12, and 14. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Here is the relay I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...44144&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

Last edited:

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
LOOK at the relay. They are one of the few electrical deices that reveal themselves totally just by visual examination.

One contact is common. One is normally open(relay unpowered). One is normally closed.

The coil is just, The Coil. Power across it and the common contact will change which contact it's touching.

Hook them up to get the functionality you need.

MattD80

Addicted
Apr 7, 2009
Alabama
It looks like A1 and A2 are your coil contacts. Your switch will need to wired in between your power supply and one of those contacts. The other three will be trial and error without seeing it first hand. More than likely 12 is probably your center node, and 11 and 14 are either normally open or normally closed. You'll just have to test to find out which is which.

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks for the concern, but there's no need for it to be sealed. It's 6 feet away from the aquarium, and there's a wall between the relay and the sump. (literally a wall, the sump is in another room)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store