wood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I found wood in the beach that i want to use for my next tank. I want to know what i have to do to use it for a freshwater tank, also will it rot?
20210515_175647.jpg

this is the tank i will be upgrading to (92cm x 37cm x 42cm) ~35 gallons
20210516_162149.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
That tank looks interesting, at first glance it seems to me that the woods you collected can be used, but they look quite light so it will take time for them to sink.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Looks like 3 different woods to me. I don't know what they could be or if they're safe to use. If they were in salt water I'd soak & change that water several times just to get the salt out...safety is a different issue...

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
How or what can I use to soak them in water? I don't have anything other than the tank i will put them in to treat it

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If the tank is empty, just soak them in there. Assuming you don't want to set up your tank without the wood.

You can work on any rock scape ideas out if the tank, and say a cardboard box or something.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It is most likely safe to use after soaking to let anything leech out (so changing the water as it is soaking is very important). All wood rots eventually. Light soft woods just rot faster. A new 55g trash can is great for soaking wood and a variety of other fish related things, I keep a couple 55g barrels around just for my fishie projects.

Anything gathered from the wild has the potential to harm our tanks but the risk is low here...unless it was a heavily polluted beach.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
If the tank is empty, just soak them in there. Assuming you don't want to set up your tank without the wood.

You can work on any rock scape ideas out if the tank, and say a cardboard box or something.
yes, I want the new tank to have rock scape, even more than wood.

didn't want to fill the tank yet but it doesn't sound bad, i can even check if there are leaks because the tank i got is second handed

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
It is most likely safe to use after soaking to let anything leech out (so changing the water as it is soaking is very important). All wood rots eventually. Light soft woods just rot faster. A new 55g trash can is great for soaking wood and a variety of other fish related things, I keep a couple 55g barrels around just for my fishie projects.

Anything gathered from the wild has the potential to harm our tanks but the risk is low here...unless it was a heavily polluted beach.
do you recommend using carbon to help clean out anything it might have?

the wood was something i thought would be a good idea, but the scaping i had in mind did not contain a branch or anything of the sort. I'll keep it for now but i don't want too many plants, just my saggitaria and swordplant and maybe something else but i'm still thinking how can i scape it.

my idea was to have like a mid level, kind of like a mezzanine, so fish can go take shelter if they feel like doing while still being able to watch them. I already have the tank, will get a stand for it soon and i still don't have final thoughts on scaping, still haven't looked into sump which i really want my filtration system to be.

oh man! i have a long way to go but want to put it together so bad ? i'm also thinking on doing a sketch and share it here so i could get help with ideas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store