wood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I wouldn't run the carbon at first, just keep up on those water changes and then adding carbon before the fish couldn't hurt anything.

Make a sketch! Always a good idea to get some input and it will help curb the urge to move forward too fast (we all know this feeling lol). For me anyway, doing something related to the thing I really want to do helps fulfill that desire. It is good to take our time in this hobby though.

I use a sump on my FW planted tank and I love it! It was a lot to figure out but once you learn it, it is so easy and flexible.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
so continuing this, i finally found some rock i wanted to use
DSC00898.JPG

1628475801258.jpeg

I want to know if all rocks are safe for fishtanks, i would not like to put something in that would poison my fish.

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks like slate? Probably safe unless from somewhere that may have exposed it to pesticides etc. Be careful of sharp edges, you may want to sand them off a bit

Reactions: dudley

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I don't think it was exposed to chemicals. but let us pretend it was... would washing it with water only be enough or maybe use soap?

this is just to have them ready before i put the pieces together... I'm still thinking on what to do with the filtration system

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't think I'd use soap. Maybe a vinegar soak for a couple days (distilled white vinegar, the clear stuff, don't dilute it). Vinegar will bubble if some of those white deposits are limestone, those could just be surface deposits (mud?) that may scrub off with a brush or plastic scrubby. Limestone & some other rocks (& coral & shells) can increase pH, you don't probably want that unless your water is very soft (low GH). I'm no geologist...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
... Depends on the chemicals, some things will not come out with a soak or soap.

like if you use copper based medication in an aquarium, I would never use that for an aquarium imverts.

Chances are you will be fine though.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Iron deposits can be problematic in some cases too but I don't notice any streaks...not like copper with inverts though.

My chemist husband & a plant club friend think think a strong acid will remove pesticides. I believe they were talking about muriatic acid to remove any from rocks the clubber wanted us to landscape with/store for him. I warned him we sometimes spray around the foundation & the guys went off into a chemistry chat I tuned out. Distilled vinegar is very acidic but safer to use than muriatic...cheaper too. Just buy a gallon jug of vinegar & use extra to clean around your house ;) it's very useful!

Really Adler, I'd be more worried about the sharp edges than buying the "right" acid. I too think you'll be fine.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Hello, i want to use lava rock as part of the substrate, so to not have to buy bags of substrate even though i want to use soil instead of substrate for plants (kind of expensive here). Anyway, i found lava rock in local store, in the gardening section. I don't know if that will work or should i check for ingredients or something and see if it aquarium safe ?

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I just bought a new filter, seachem tidal 35, I want to get it ready with bacteria for the other tank, how long does it take to get it ready? I used tetra's safe start but not sure if that will work because i used it on tank already running

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You can install the new filter on the mature tank for a few weeks or transfer some of the mature media from the existing filter if it fits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store