Worms in media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chron

AC Members
Feb 1, 2019
Taken just now, my fish are happy, I feel my levels are ok . I might have killed my bio filter for a week or two but it’s better now.

The worms have just been there getting more in mass.

Question is what are they and what eats them , they seem to not harm anything.

Thanks for the info’s

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You nitrate looks pretty high, you should do some more frequent & larger water changes. Goldies eat & poop a lot.

Test strips aren't as accurate (but are much faster & easier) than API master test kits many of us rely on.

If none of your fish eat the worms you can vacuum some out each water change.

Chron

AC Members
Feb 1, 2019
Thanks for the info.

So get an “ API master test kit” ?
I’ll do this for my fifty gal once I get it started.

Still wondering are they for sure “black worms” or something else and what fish is fast enough to eat them ? They really do retract in to the media super fast.

Thanks again for all the great infos hope this helps others too!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Still wondering are they for sure “black worms” or something else and what fish is fast enough to eat them ? They really do retract in to the media super fast.
It's not the fish but your media. Too big for fish to go through. Use fine gravel 2 to 3mm and not too deep and the worms won't be able to hide.

Reactions: Chron

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I have seen blackworms in various substrates...& they look just like your pics. There are other "things" they could be...but I can't think of what else they could be ATM.

I'm still voting black worms. It's not totally bad...if you control them or your fish eat them.

Reactions: Chron
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store