Worried about feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yorkshire lass

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Hi

Yesterday I bought 2 Panda Corys. I wanted to get 4-5 but the LFS only had 2 but hope to get some more next week. I bought the Hikari sinking wafers too for them.

My problem is my other fish (Platys, Bleeding heart and Neon Tetras) I'm not sure if much of the flake gets to the bottom, I don't want to overfeed, and they are so quick to eat it all. I put a wafer in tonight and the fish went crazy. They are guarding it and as I speak I have 2 bleeding heart tetras with huge bits in their mouth and won't put down. The Corys didn't stand a chance to get near the wafer.

I'm worried that the Corys aren't getting much food, has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do?

Thanks
Ange

thesydmonster

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
You could also try to feed the other fish on one end of your tank and then drop something in for the cories on the other end right before lights out.

Yorkshire lass

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
I tried feeding last night after the lights out, watched a bit and the Platys found it first, so the Corys didn't stand a chance!

Tonight I broke the wafer up, and fed at the same time as the other (flakes) they managed to get a bit before the others took it off them! The Platys tend to follow them round then grab what they find. Feel really sorry for them, why don't they defend their food?

Hoping to get some more next week, and going to try some frozen food.

Ange

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Frozen bloodworms are an excellent food and they sink fast. I would try handfeeding the other fish at the surface while dropping some to the bottom near the cories. Live microworms or whiteworms would be another good option, if you don't mind culturing them.

joeyg2100

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
put some in after about an hour after the light have turned out. This way the medium/top dwellers will turn dormant for the night. Then drop in the waffers. The corys will get there chances at the food then

Yorkshire lass

AC Members
Nov 13, 2005
Thanks for the replys,

I will try the hour after lights out.

A couple of times I have found that if i moisten a few flakes and let them sink, the corys get some before the others have finished at the top, eating the floating stuff. I've given them bloodworms too, but you can't feed those more than once a week?

Ange

pat123123

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
You could try the Tetra Variety Wafers. My pleco loves them. The platies nibble at them a bit but they give up on them fairly soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store