Worried about my Raphael

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

claymore

AC Members
Apr 12, 2006
Hi,

I've had an aquarium for years, mostly Tetras and a loach... but my favourite is my wonderful Striped Raphael Catfish. She's nearly 6 now and coming up for 9" long. Now she's always been a shy fish, hiding as far down as she can... I thought she'd died in a hollow log when I first got her... so I took it out the water to get her out and she started croaking at me!!!

Anyway, I was too hasty in putting some swordtails in about a 6 weeks ago and whitespot set in. I treated successfully with a product called Protozin by Waterlife (we're limited in what we can get in my part of Scotland!)... and it seemed to be fine (alas the swordtails didn't make it).

I thought all was fine then my 5 Bleedingheart Tetras succumbed really quickly to more whitespot, they died before the treatment could have any effect. No other fish seemed to suffer after this and saying as the Bleeding hearts were all about 4 years old I thought it was just an age thing.

Now, the Raphael has blotches all over her and never seems to settle. She's not taking food and just keeps swimming close to the surface. I've seen out everyother disease that has come my way, but this is getting to me. I'm doing careful water changes once every 2 days and using small amounts of Stresscoat too.

Anyone got any better ideas?

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Can you describe the blotches, or post a pic. Is it ICH?

claymore

AC Members
Apr 12, 2006
The blotches are not like the hard crusty "salt grains" I saw on the other fish, they are off-white in colour and uniformly over the skin and fins. They are raised from the skin slightly and not really round, more oblong in shape.

There's also a red patch along her midrift, the skin looks a little tatty like it's flaking off.

Sorry piccies are no good, autofocus found gravel easier to focus on than squirming fish!

DSC00358.JPG DSC00354a.JPG

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
you might want to try the heat and salt treatment, it cant hurt anything... that i no of... raise the temp to 82 and add some salt (amout specified on the ICH article) i think that although this treatment is best for ich, it could help with some other stuff too...

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I'm wondering if its a reaction to the meds...I'm not familiar with Protozin, but it appears to be a fungicide...not sure what else might be in it...might want to contact the company....small, regular water changes in the interim is probably a good way to go for now

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I'm still thinking a med issue - here is a comment re: Protozin on this site - http://forums.aquariumhobbyist.com/view.php?id=10542,10542

"About two weeks ago I bought a catfish to go in my tank with three other fish - A shubunkin, goldfish and a black moor - which I had had for ages. I quarantined the catfish for a week and everything was fine so I introduced it to my new tank. Again everything was brilliant until I started to notice a small amount of white spot on my goldfish - and he was lathargic at the bottom of the tank. I thought nothing of it as he had had white spot before and I added the right dose of Protozin. After the third day of adding the protozin (as it says on the bottle) my catfish died, and it looked as though his skin had been pulled off and he had no fins left."

Unfortunately, there were no replies...but catfish can often be sensitive to meds..but those are usually the scaleless cats. However, I saw another site that referred to treating Protozin at half the dosage when Raphael cats are present. If he is getting "burned" by the meds, then increased heat and salt will not help - but water changes and perhaps the stress coat will. Tough call without being able to see the fish in person, but your mention of red on the side makes me think med burn - good luck!

claymore

AC Members
Apr 12, 2006
Fishboy is spot on that's exactly what's happening. I'll change water and add stress coat.

Thanks... wish me and the fish luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store