would a jebao rw8 with wave maker remote be enough for a 55 fish and coral?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
im new to the sw world but am absolutely fascinated with it! i been having fw for awhile but i just wanted more, i cant get enough. so im building a 55 sw tank on a budget and wanna achieve the most reliable system as possible without spending a ton. i bought 50 pounds of sand got some rock im working on getting a refugium or wet/dry system. if i win the auction lol, i'll have the rapids rp3 pro, i've seen alot of good reviews on youtube for it. i have a pair of clowns and a damsel and puffer. the female had ich so i took them all out of my dt for now, {till i get the bigger one up and running and cycled} did a freshwater dip with ich-x and placed them in a qt and they seem to be rid of the ich. im actually very surprised and relieved. i thought this was gonna be way worse and last forever i was frustrated lol, but it seemed to work out really well. i am still watching and checking them alot throughout the day to see any signs of marine ich and haven't seen any, but that doesn't mean im out of the woods yet cause they can just be in the gills so im still kinda worried. so while i get the 55 set up and cycling im gonna do one more freshwater dip with ich x and move them to another qt before placing into my 55.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Slow down. You are worried about which light you are getting before you finished planning out what life support you want as far as filtration goes? Refugium or wet/dry. What benefit do you hope to have from the wet/dry that live rock couldn't provide? What role is the refugium going to play for you? Weigh out the pros and cons. If you can only get either or, then you need to figure out which one.

As for your current stock: in a 55 a pair of clowns is likely not going to tolerate any other damsels. A puffer is an aggressive predator (even if he may look cute and innocent). You will have a hard time finding a compatible cleanup crew that won't get eaten.

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
i already have lighting and filtration sufficient enough right now well way more than needed actually i just wanna get a refugium cause it is suppose to be the best for sw. all my live stock get along just fine nobody bothers anybody and they all have thier own little spot. i was thinking refugium would be nice for nitrates and as well as a qt for any aggrrssive fish or keeping copepods as well like you said in earlier messages if i wanna get a mandarin. im not just winging it i already have all of what i need to run the 55 but like i said i do want a refugium so i can hide the skimmer and maybe other media reactors.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I think you're confusing "refugium" with "sump". A sump can have a refugium as part of it (or a 'fuge can be standalone) but if you're looking for someplace to put equipment like a skimmer or reactor, a fuge isn't an appropriate place. You can design a sump under the tank with multiple chambers to handle a spot for a skimmer, return pump, other pumps for reactors, etc, and a separate area with a fuge for nutrient export, pod farming, etc.

jimv8673

Banned
May 5, 2009

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Wow Jim that is a nice sump. Is that yours? What size tank is that under?

jimv8673

Banned
May 5, 2009
Its one that Morgan of Inland Aquatics set up for me a few years ago, its under a 150

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
jim has what i want lol. im getting a free 30gal tank maybe today or tomorrow and i have an old 29gal tank with a leak im just gonna tear apart and use the glass to cut the baffles. thats pretty much the setup i wanna try and achieve. thank you for the input everybody.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Sounds good, post pics of your results!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store