would this combination of fish work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
Re the guppies:

I have about eighteen guppies in a 10 gallon tank (I know it's crowded, but it's right in the kitchen and gets HUGE water changes), with about 1 male for every two females. They've been in the tank since September. The tank is pretty heavily decorated with both fake and live plants.

I have had NO guppy fry since the fish have been put in the tank. I know the gups have been getting pregnant and giving birth, but not a single fry has survived. The fish just gobble them up! So, considering that, and knowing the appetite of the dwarf gourami that I keep in my community tank, I'd guess that overcrowding with guppies will be something you won't have to worry about.

And, should it become an issue, several of the privately owned LFS's in my area buy guppies, if they're fancy.

And don't worry about asking seemingly silly questions! They're all very important - I know what you mean about not wanting to make mistakes.

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
Also, regarding african dwarf frogs, I've kept them in community tanks without any problems. Just make sure you've got dwarves, like everyone else said.

tamara323

~*Animal Loving Aquarius Aquarist*~
Feb 2, 2002
Canada
ashes, thanks a million for taking the time to read and reply ;)

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
Glad I can help.

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Also I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but when I bought my Dwarf Gouramis, I had to buy a male/female pair. I would get a pair if I were you because they are so pretty swimming together. You don't have to worry about them breeding with all the other fish in the tank.

tamara323

~*Animal Loving Aquarius Aquarist*~
Feb 2, 2002
Canada
i already have a male dwarf gourami, and i went to get a female but was advised that because i've already had the male for a bit and he was full grown when i got him, that getting him a younger female wouldn't interest him one bit (obviously fish behave quite differently from humans ;)) is there any truth to this advice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store