Would this work? (Water Change Question)...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jalo Reefa'

master of non-specific gravity
Feb 19, 2009
tcar - your counter point there makes perfect sense, I get that... I guess I'm a little befuddled by krytans "your fish will thank you for it" comment more than your own

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Why?

Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt is surely a winner with Malawi cichlids?

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/CichlidLakeSalt.html

Don't think there is anway to put the bucket above the tank :-(, it's just too big and heavy once full.
I think its a little "judgy" to immediately tell him to stop using the salt without any knowledge of his water parameters. I don't use it myself but thats because I used crushed coral and have naturally hard water, but some people need buffering agents.

Just because you don't personally use, need to use a method doesn't make it bad - besides, "your fish will thank you" implies he's hurting them by using it?????
I said the OP's fish will thank him because of the effect of osmosis.
Freshwater fish have evolved to cope with water being forced into their bodies. They have higher levels of salt in their body cells which draw in water from their surroundings, they counter act this by waterproofing as much of their body surfaces (both internal and external) as possible and swallowing very little water. They also have highly efficient kidneys which produce copious amounts of very dilute urine.
Saltwater fish on the other hand have evolved to cope with water being drawn out of their bodies because of the high levels of salt in the water around them. They literally have to drink the water around them.

Jalo Reefa'

master of non-specific gravity
Feb 19, 2009
krytan - i think you may have become too smart for your own good... i did a little back checking on rift lake water and also the sea chem ingredients;

http://www.springerlink.com/content/vgk1547x022421n4/

while nothing in your post regarding osmosis is wrong - the bottom line is you're arguing making water more like the fishes natural environment is not good for them. It just makes no sense. Its almost like you're thinking he is adding sea salt to the water.

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
tcar - your counter point there makes perfect sense, I get that... I guess I'm a little befuddled by krytans "your fish will thank you for it" comment more than your own
I understand. Some times people say things on the internet that can seem rather direct or more direct than what they would say in person IME. Im guilty of it on occasion.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Just go get some table strong enough to sit by the tank that way the powerhead doesn't have to push as much ft. of head. That would be a faster fill time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store