Wow, SAEs are great!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
The ones I have right now are under 2 inches long. A bit bigger than Oto but not that much bigger... I also read that CAEs are the ones that get really aggressive as they grow. And if you feed them too much normal food, they may not eat algae as much.

Right now, I am fasting other fishes just to see how these guys eat algae. I guess I will resume my normal feeding schedule. :D

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
this is very uselful info as I have two SAE's coming from MG, and I have black beard algae - the stuff no one else will touch!!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have 2 SAEs in my 46bf, and they are not aggressive at all. They are like big kids, chasing each other all over the tank. When I got them a year ago, they were about an inch long. Now they are 5"+ each. They don't eat as much algae as when they were young, but that is probably mostly my fault, as they are definitely very well fed. Like the PP said, SAEs do not get aggressive, but CAEs (chinese algae eaters) do. Good luck.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
After few days, they cleaned about half of the tank. What I thought was a dead Java Fern leaf turned into a squeaky clean leaf... :)

He told me he purchased it recently for only $4 each...

WeeGlo@nite

Waldo
Sep 18, 2006
Spokane WA
In the natural environment, they are supposed to go up to 6 inches but in aquariums, apparently they rarely go that big. Usually minimum recommended tank size is 20g but obviously bigger the better.

I've studied the pattern again carefully between flying fox and true SAE so now I can sort of tell the differences between the two. I'm still not sure what I had few years ago.

People claim this is the best algae eater, and I believe it. :D
Wait I'm an idiot.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
lol..liek zomg

My SAE's are hair-eaters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com