wpg in a 10 gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
mandimoron said:
Hey, Kyle, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your tank with that fixture on it, do you? That sounds like a good idea, but I've never seen anything set up like that before.
i haven't got a picture right now- i've been dragging my feet on getting new batteries for the cammera- i owe you guys a picture of my black
plakat too- but i'll get you one as soon as i can.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
so this might be a dumb question, but I thought I should ask.

the other day I was in home depot shopping for other things and I stopped by the lighting department and saw some flourescent bulbs that looked liek they might be viable for a 10g planted tank with a regular fourescent hood. the one I was looking at was a 18" long, 15 watt, 5000k bulb that was labelled as "natural sunlight". I can't find a link to it or I'd post it. anyway, I expect this would be ok for a low light type setup, but I noted the temperature of the light was in the range I've seen suggested for planted tanks (4000-6700k).

my LFS sells a similar bulb, same length, same wattage, but at 3500k I think for about 4 bucks more which is labelled as good for planted tanks. now I know 4 bucks is only 4 bucks, but I was wodnering which of these 2 are superior for growing plants.

thanks for any insight into this. it's been nagging me all weekend ;)

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
They'd probably both work - the question is how does it make things look.
Even with my 6500K i am not 100% satisfied as it doesn't seem to contain a lot of red.
You'd be amazed how much different your choice of light can make your plants and fish look. (in my case it bothers me because of the fish)

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Lots of people buy cheap lighting like that at hardware stores- it's way cheap but tends to take up more space- still it's an excelent way to light a tank on a budget

do some searches on www.plantgeek.net since we still can't search this site and you'll find relly good suggestions on which specific bulbs are best from hardware stores and guidlines for what to look for . . .like K, lumens , watts, t-8 or t-12, etc.

hope that helps!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
i hear ya

ever since i decided to go from low tech to high tech on my planted tank i feel like i've been thro the ringer 10 times for every piece of equipment and having unique water with low KH has been the icing on the cake!

research till your face turns blue and then a little bit more- and good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store