WTB:(Echinodorus parviflorus) Black Amazon Sword

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I am wondering if anyone knows where i can get a small to medium sized black amazon sword. I have done some a little looking online and there is a lot of mislabeled plants available and I don't want to get the wrong one.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Try posting in the seller/buyer forum

My Local fish store (Albany Aquarium) has it once in a while.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I am wondering if anyone knows where i can get a small to medium sized black amazon sword. I have done some a little looking online and there is a lot of mislabeled plants available and I don't want to get the wrong one.
If its mislabeled, how does it really look like? I recently purchase one and it doesn't look black. It only grows to about 6 inches tall.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If its mislabeled, how does it really look like? I recently purchase one and it doesn't look black. It only grows to about 6 inches tall.

Echinodorus sworda are regularlly mislabled. The are difficult to tell the difference even to plant speciallist. Echinodorus look different when grown above or below water, and to make things more "muddier", many are hybreds.

Echinodorus parviflorus is not "Black"---there are no black plants that grow above or below water. It does grow more red with bright lights, and more darker green with lower lights. It only grows to about 5-6 inches and makes a good center piece for a smaller tank (15-20gals) and looks nice in a bigger tank planted in front of Echinodorus Cortifolius, Major, or Bleheri.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Echinodorus sworda are regularlly mislabled. The are difficult to tell the difference even to plant speciallist. Echinodorus look different when grown above or below water, and to make things more "muddier", many are hybreds.

Echinodorus parviflorus is not "Black"---there are no black plants that grow above or below water. It does grow more red with bright lights, and more darker green with lower lights. It only grows to about 5-6 inches and makes a good center piece for a smaller tank (15-20gals) and looks nice in a bigger tank planted in front of Echinodorus Cortifolius, Major, or Bleheri.
Thank you for the explanation.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Try posting in the seller/buyer forum

My Local fish store (Albany Aquarium) has it once in a while.
I was going to, but I decided it would get more attention here. Also I am just looking for a source at the moment.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
@ tanker

Man you really seem to know your plants! Are the plants you mentioned similar to the BAS? I really like how it looks, bit from the sound of it, it won't be big enough for my needs.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What size tank do you have and what are you really looking for??

Most Swords do grow fairly large (there are some smaller sowrds--Tenellus for example). The BAS is medium size plant---about 6 inches.

I have been growing plants in my tanks since I was a little girl. My Father started me on tanks with plants.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
What size tank do you have and what are you really looking for??

75 gallon. I was wanting a nice center piece with some decent color. Maybe 15" or so.

Most Swords do grow fairly large (there are some smaller sowrds--Tenellus for example). The BAS is medium size plant---about 6 inches.

I have been growing plants in my tanks since I was a little girl. My Father started me on tanks with plants.
Haha! I knew it.
Since I am posting from my phone my text is mixed in your quote.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
With a 75gal:

If you want some color==Reddish color, try Ocelot or Kleinerbar. Both usually available.

If you want a large and very green plant== Try Bleheri or Cordifolius. Both usually very available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store