wtb :snakeheads

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick5874

125 gl cobra snakehead
Dec 2, 2002
md
Visit site
snakeheads

well in baltimore stores are selling them I bought two cobras saturday for 21.00 each they also have an albino for 52.00
and this is in md so how illegal are they !

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
yea it happened real quick. must have been made a law within the past month or so.

I thought they would still be legal to sell, but a pet store near me told me if they didnt get rid of them within the week, they needed to destroy them, as the govt was making sure they have none for sale or in their posession.

mcmama96

Registered Member
Dec 15, 2002
East Alton, IL
Visit site
hi All,
Here is the deal. Effective 4 October the Federal government (fish & Wildlife) Put the snakeheads on the Lacey act list. What this means is you can possess them however they can not be brought into the United states and can not be transported accross state lines. SO you can have them: UNDER one condition. If your state has banned them, then you will have to abide by what the state says. There are currently 15-16 states in which they are illegal in.
Illinois for one, their laws states that you can not posses, sell, trade, barter or propagate them in the state of Illinois. The fine is $5,000.00 for persons and $10,000 for business.
They only reason we know this is that we were keeping up with it due to the fact we had 7 different species of snakeheads here in our house in Illinois when this all came about. The law went into effect here and we had 30 days to "destroy and dispose" of them. Sad to say we no longer have any, but some people in the states still do. But you will have to find someone willing to ship or in your state.
Hope this helps on what is going on with the laws.
Wanda and Ken

patrick5874

125 gl cobra snakehead
Dec 2, 2002
md
Visit site
I love my snakeheads

I would like to thank everyone first who replied to my post .
and as far as them being illegal to buy I am aware of this .
as for the law aginst them, IT REALLY SUCKS !
remember these are little fish just doing thier thing !
I bet there are many fish that would be just as dangerous if they
were let loose in the wild . I also have peacock bass and they are more aggressive than my little snakeheads ! (at least in my tank )
why arent they banned, would they be harmless if let loose in a resovior(I think not ). What would they do to the largemouth population if let loose. Could you imagine if the peacock bass
spawned with a Largemouth. I know im just rambling but I think all the lawmakers are just ridiculous ! This is an educated forum where people know about fish what they need to survive , and what they are capable of doing. I live in maryland they would never be able to make it through the winter because of the cold temperature !
:To Wanda and Ken in Illinois I am sorry you had to destroy all your babies ! No law no matter how big the fine would ever make me destroy my dog , my cat or my Fish !
In closing I would just like to say " This is America not a dictatorship. This is another example of big goverment trying to make granny feel safe in her retirement home !

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store