XP3 problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tennesseemom

Shrimp Herder
Nov 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
blueinredstate.tumblr.com
I bought my XP3 last November I think when Big Al's Online was having that awesome $85 for an XP3 sale. I've had no problems since November, but lately it's not putting out as much. The filter media is fine, there isn't any noise or rattling, I don't see any snails or other stuff in the impeller or when you look through the input/output holes. The hoses seem fine though they have some gunk in them. What should I do or check?

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
What kind of fine filtration do use? Typcially when filters start to slow down, it's due to clogging of the fine filter pad and/or filter floss.

If it's a filter pad, you can try rinsing it. If that doesn't work or if you are using filter floss, replace it. Also, rinse out the mechanical filtration. You *can* rinse the biological media, but that's up to you. I rinse mine every once and a while, but mostly I just rinse the mechanical media and replace the filter floss.

One more note: Convential Wisdom says not to rinse with tap water, but rather with old tank water. I rinse with tap water. There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago and just as many people rinse with tap as rinse with tank water...and nobody seems to have any problems either way.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
^ Good idea. Also (just in case) make sure that your hoses aren't bound or twisted in any way. I did that to myself once after doing maintenance.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I used too thick a layer of floss in mine, slowed it down. Have you cleaned the impeller in the top? I've only done it once or twice in a year. Oh, I see you have. Spray bar?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store