xtreme newbie looking for the basics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishdaddy3

AC Members
Jan 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on a message board. So i hope there's no points off for spelling and punctuation. Anyway to the the questions, I have a 75 gal tank and stand with hood. the filter i had with it was a Wisper 5, I know i definitly want an upgrade, but i've heard that two diffirent filter systems to use. The first is the wet-dry system (I helped a friend build one for his fresh water and it was pretty inexpensive.) The other is a canister. before i go any further let me tell you my plan for the tank to see if it will work or not. I would like to set up a simple (fish) tank at first then slowly turn it into a (reef ) tank. You know spread out the expence. lol .ok back to the questions. I would like to get the right stuff to start with to avoid problems later. and also which fish to get that can suvive the change. Also what other supplies will i need to start.

thanks for any info
Rob

Fishdaddy3

AC Members
Jan 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
thanks I'll be checking that book out. Sorry for being so vague I do have alot of questions. And i'll try to narrow it down to one or two more specific ones next time. Like is it possible to transform a marine fish tank to a marine reef tank without major problems or having to buy books. i'm still trying to make a plan for my tank, long term.

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
It is possible...but you really should find a few books so you have a better idea of what you are doing and what all you are going to need to do.

Why jump into this blind, when you can get a few books (the price of which is nominal compared to what you will spend when you go reef) and read about how things need to be done.

It is very possible to switch from FO to reef, however, you need to know what you are doing. Reef systems are delicate and require a lot of care.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It is possible to switch a FO tank into a FOWLR (fish only with live rock), or to a reef. You'll need to do a lot of research, to make sure you don't buy something that is fine for a FO tank, but not a reef tank--many fish/inverts are coral predators.

For filtration, I'm a big fan of using live rock with a deep sand bed, and a skimmer. Works great, completely natural, easy to maintain with appropriate reef friendly cleaners.

I too would encourage you to purchase some books. Checking them out from the library will work initially, but I consider my fish library as an invaluable reference--I want to access it immediately, not after a trip to the library.

ben72227

AC Members
Jun 21, 2003
Arkansas
two books i would strongly recommend:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Fenner

Marine Fishes by S. Michael

the first is probably one of the, if the the best, overall general book to saltwater fish / reefs. It you get nothing else, get this. You will surely be glad to have it as reference when you finally have your tank set up.

The second is basically the salt water fish encyclopedia. It lists everything you need to know about any fish you're interested in keeping - temperature, p.h., s.g., tank size, etc.

Don't check these out - buy them. That's one of the things that you will have to get used to in saltwater tanks - its expensive and it's never a good idea to skimp on things.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Sorry for being so vague I do have alot of questions.
I've just recently set up my first marine tank, and I fully understand your confusion- it is going to get a lot worse!
The thing about marine tanks is that there are 100 ways to do everything- it is not an exact science. For every question I asked I found fourteen different answers, each correct in certain applications.

One thing you are going to have to do (IMO) is decide on a direction- what is it that you want to keep? I know you say FOWLR slowly morphing into a reef but as OrionGirl mentioned many, many fish are incompatible with reef creatures and one bad purchase can derail all the wonderful planning in the world.

The more time you spend browsing forums, reading books, and just thinking about it the better. In all probability you will come upon one fish or creature that you simply must have- and there you go- you have a direction!

It is a fun and challenging experience with a tremendous initial learning curve. Take your time, choose equipment with an eye towards durability and longevity, and have fun.
(And when it is time to choose your lighting, give yourself a month or more- it's tough!)

JasonA

Jack of all trades, master of none!
May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
Fishdaddy3, when OrionGirl talks about a liverock, DSB(deep sand bed) and skimmer only filtration setup, read my very first post which is stickied at the top of this forum which is labeled.."Starting a SW tank, some good advice"..

Corax told me to go this route... for the 8 month this tank ran before it started to leak 2 weeks ago, it maintained itself perfectly, levels DEAD ON, only 2 minor water changes, etc..

It's a good first time thread to read cause I was in your shoes.

Now my new 80show has a 6" dsb, and the water is crystal clear and no mechanical filtration what so ever.

Jason

Last edited:

Fishdaddy3

AC Members
Jan 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Thanks guys I have The conscientious Marine Aquarist ordered, and am looking foward to reading it. Like my post said EXTREME NEWBIE but i'm not looking to rush into things I understand the complexity of what I'm getting involved in and there is no better way for me to learn then talking to people with as much experiense and knowledge that I can find here. The book will help alot, but there is no substitute for experiense. You guys wil be a crutial tool in the success of my tank.

thanks alot
Rob

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store