Yellow Lab is Holding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greensparrow

AC Members
Jul 30, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
I have a Yellow Lab that has been holding for about 2 days now and was curious if I should separate her from the other labs (3 labs). The only male I have in the tanks seemed to protect her at first as she hid in the cave, but now seems to chase her around constantly. I have temporarily separated her. Is this part of the process? I figured since she is not going to eat till she spits out the fry she needs to conserve all the energy she can. Am I correct in this? Thanks for the help!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Do not strip the fry until day 17-19. Survival will be better and they will be healthier. It is best if there is no egg sack left. The female will not eat for the next few weeks. If she is being harassed separate her from the others. Normally she should not be getting chased, and since this is likely the first spawn, they are still learning.

Pharaoh

epitome of obsession
Apr 2, 2009
Real Name
Bobby
Do not strip the fry until day 17-19. Survival will be better and they will be healthier. It is best if there is no egg sack left. The female will not eat for the next few weeks. If she is being harassed separate her from the others. Normally she should not be getting chased, and since this is likely the first spawn, they are still learning.
I agree.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Most agreed, do not put her in a small setup if you pull her from the others more than likely the male is wanting to breed again, 20gal long with a lot of rocks will suffice just for her, when she spits start feeding after a few days to a week replace her back in the setup and cont to raise the fry separate..

Rollinondubz200

rollinondubz2002
Jan 13, 2009
Southwest Florida
yellow labs are breeding fools. my yellow lab pair spit fry every month. i have evin seen a 2 inch female holding in my fry grow out tank(i stripped her and feed them fry to my bigger fish, they were cross between brother and sister from a month apart spawns)

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
If she continues getting harassed there is a chance she will swallow the eggs, so I would remove her. If she doesn't swallow them, then yes all the running from the male could lead to poor body condition since she can't eat and will be burning excess energy.

With my africans I would remove the female and put her in a barebottom tank with a decoration for her to hide in (easier to do maintenance and to care for the fry once the female is removed), then strip the fry once ready and put her back. Do Keep in mind that sometimes when removed the females will swallow the eggs/fry, but you can lessen this chance by moving her in a container rather than netting her out.

steakman

AC Members
May 16, 2009
I should not worry about it unless the harassment becomes very serious.

Yell Labs are very hardy fish in almost any kind of condition. They will adjust after a while.

Here is my formula and it works well:

- 1 male + 1 female = 50 fry / 3 month

- 1 male + 2 female = 100 fry / 3 month

- 1 male + 3 female = 200 fry / 3 month

- 1 male + 5 female = sorry ... smoke is coming out from my calculator ... :D

As Pitbull said: Yellow Labs = Little yellow rabbits

Good luck in handling of their fry.

greensparrow

AC Members
Jul 30, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks for all the info everyone! I currently have her separated in the same tank using a divider. I have a couple plants and a broken pot decor that she loves to hide in. She seems pretty peaceful. The male keeps on trying to break through the divider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store