Yellow Serpent Star & Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
I just bought a Yellow Bristle Serpent Star last weekend, looking up Inverts in reef books and this was listed (a serpent star, not necessarily yellow bristle) as a 'must-have' for a reef aquarium because it eats detrius, sediment, leftover food, etc.
Now I didn't really consider whether or not it might try and snag my large Coral Banded Shrimp. What do you all think? Any experiences with this?

Thanks

VTEEL

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
Not at the moment, it's been hiding in the LR since I got it, comes out slightly at night though not all the way. If I can get a shot I'll be sure to post it right away.

VTEEL

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
i have a good sized brittle star in my tank (a banded serpent star), and he doens't bother anything at all. i used to have a banded coral shrimp (rip), and he didn't bother it at all. currently i have a blood srhimp and he leaves it alone as well. but it probably all depens on the specimen. if it gets too hungry who knows what he will do...;) my opinion though is that you should be just fine.

boomsticks

Mike
Dec 7, 2005
NH
Nah you should be fine with a serpent star. The green brittle stars are the ones that have been reported to eat fish and inverts. I have a Burgundy/Purple serpent star that eats live rock and hamburgers (well done of course) he is wierd though he doesn't like any pickles on them and I have to put the ketchup on the side. No, but seriously I can hand feed him silversides and chunks of clam. When they get used to you they are so fun to feed!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store