Yellow slime on filter intake/tube?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
I'm not sure if this belongs in the f/w equipment section of the forum or not. So if it's in the wrong section, feel free to move it mods.

I've noticed some semi-translucent yellow'ish slug/slime growing on the filter intake and on the tubing going to the filter. I just took the filter apart to wash it and I noticed some on the inner tubing where it connects with the pump. I'm currently using a Red Sea Nano Filter (http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...rclear?&query=nano+filter&queryType=0&offset=). I'm not sure if it was a bad thing or good thing, but it seemed like a bad sign of poor water quality or something even if I do frequent water changes. I also noticed white dust like specs on the glass surface that moved if I went near it with a long knife I use to chop of frozen fish food. Any idea what these white specs are? Current lifestock in the 2.5 gallon tank is a single betta and red cherry shrimp in a breeder trap.

Any input guys?

The only recent change in the tank was it was orginally a betta tank but my gf surprised me with cherrys for a valentines day gift so the breeders net is a temporary home until I set up a spare 10 gallon in progress. I also recently started using API Stress Zime as someone suggested that it helps the shrimp in a new tank.

Last edited:

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
Sounds like water mold in which case nothing to worry about. I change tons of water and get this stuff in my intakes as well its more white gooey though than yellow if its yellow or translucent i would think its an algae

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
Neither is bad for the fish. Although excessive algae is a sign that tank maintenance or placement needs help.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Well the tank is in a room that gets indirect sunlight during the day and I only turn the aquarium light on for 3-4 hours a day since it gets a full days worth of indirect sunlight. But the filter is on the side of the wall that is farthest from the window. No other area in the tank has any of this slug/slime. I also do 2 water changes a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store