yellow tang not eating yet...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tampa4

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
I just purchased a yellow tang a few days ago, and though he's doing well (very active, good behavior, etc), he has yet to eat any of the food (spirulina flakes) I've offered him yet. Is this normal or should I be concerned? I have noticed him picking at the live rock on occasion, but he basically just ignores any of the food I offer him. Any comments would be appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Give him a few days to get used to the tank, and I'd pick up some nori as well. I leave one side and the back of my tank with algae just for the tang, and he picks at it all day long, as well as cruising the rock looking for algae. Some of the frozen herbivore foods might be a better options--I've seldom seen tangs go for flake food.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Also, try frozen cubes of Mysis Shrimp and/or frozen cubes of Formula 1....Tangs LOVE that stuff.

But, I'm in agreement with OrionGirl...give him a few days/a week to get used to his new surroundings and he should come around fine.

What size tank do you have, by the way?

tampa4

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
70 gallons (long). Though eventually the tang will get large enough in which my 70 might be a bit cramped for him, when that happens I plan on giving him to a friend of mine, who has a 135 aquarium. Other than that, I'm sticking with smaller fish, such as dwarf angelfish, jawfish, clowns, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store