Yellowish water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joshob

AC Members
Sep 20, 2006
For the past few weeks after doing my weekly water changes my water will turn yellowish within a couple of days and progressivly get worse. I have a piece of driftwood that I boiled and placed in a year ago but the water situation seems to get worse as time goes by. Do I need to do a total tank clean? Could this be an algea bloom even though I do not provide a lot of light? I'm really lost to what is happening. It's just real dingy looking, it doesn't really seem to be algae.

thanks

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Sounds like the driftwood is leeching tanins. Try putting fresh carbon in your filter and see if this doesn't clear it up.

joeshmoe

AC Members
Jan 2, 2007
Yeah.....the driftwood is the only thing I can think of that would turn the water yellow. Mine is still doing it after 5 months of having it in there.

joshob

AC Members
Sep 20, 2006
My only problem is that my tank is a 5gallon Wally world special kit, so the filters are those regent replacment deals. Do you guys think I should leave the driftwood out on next water change and see if it clears up. Or should I just let it continue to leak out?

thanks

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
If you feel your driftwood is leeching tannis you could re - boil it, if you decide to do that, boil it for several hours, changing the water in the pot as needed, its possible it was not boiled long enough, swish your filters in removed tank water before re introducing the wood, do a wc {2.5 gallons}and wait and see what happens, this would be the easiest and most likely place to start.........:)

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
just leave it, there is no point in hassleing with it when it doesint hurt anything

my tank has 2 pieces and they are still going at it
Being a 5 gallon tank it shouldn't be that much of a hassle, the poster stated it was getting worse, he would have nothing to loose by trying....,,:idea:

joshob

AC Members
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks guys, I hope that it is just tannins and nothing else. I would post a picture but all I have is my phone camera, not very good quality.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
well, one thing to state is that if it is indeed tannins, and you cant get rid of them, they wont hurt anything except your eyes when you see yellow water. :)

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
well, one thing to state is that if it is indeed tannins, and you cant get rid of them, they wont hurt anything except your eyes when you see yellow water. :)
Our water is clear, but i boiled it for 5 hours, { Roughly 10 pounds }about 6 months ago, so far so good. Maybe our dw was cleaner, but i like clear water..............:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store