yet another cycleing question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djmodifyd

AC Members
Jan 26, 2006
Bondurant, IA
www.djmodifyd.com
well...yesterday i added bio-spira and 6 zeebra danio's

today.....took reading

ph: 8
ammonia .5 (down from 2 :) )
nitrIte: spike to 5 ppm from 0
nitrAte: 15-20..hard to tell....up from 0

i take it the nitrate showing up is a sign the cycle is going through?

all 6 zeebras seem to be doing fine so far.

i know to leave it for a couple days before touching it....but i just wanted to ask the fish guru's first!

thanks

aquarob

I give up!
Jan 1, 2006
Most water supplies have some Nitrate in it, mine runs about 3-4ppm and others run higher. Your tank should read 0ppm Ammonia and Nitrite and about 15-30ppm Nitrate before you are fully cycled for sure, less then 10ppm nitrates could just be your water supply in my opinion. Especially if you live in a large city, as water quality tends to see-saw around a lot.

djmodifyd

AC Members
Jan 26, 2006
Bondurant, IA
www.djmodifyd.com
wel....

ammonia is not quite at .25...a little below...but not quite 0, down from .5 this morning

nitrIte has gone down a tad as well...maybe to 3 ppm or so.

and nitrate up a tad...maybe to 35

looks good i think
would i be wrong..or right?
i want some freaking fish besides these little zebra danios' (even though they are cute little buggers)

aquarob

I give up!
Jan 1, 2006
Patience, grasshopper. ;) Most tanks take awhile to cycle. With Bio-Spira, usually (if it works) can take anywhere from overnight to a week from what I have read. I personally dont use it, thought some people swear by it. I am a fishy cycle man myself, and that usually takes 4-8 weeks, when done properly so as to not lose any fish. Hang in there. :coffee:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Test your tap water for nitrates. If there are no nitrates, then you are almost there :D

You do have to get those nitrites down though. Anything over 1ppm is dangerous and 3ppm can kill.

Also, the nitrates -- don't let those climb too high. They're not as dangerous as ammonia or nitrites, but they will cause problems if they climb in the 60s. Try to keep them below 20ppm. After your tank cycles, get the nitrates down to ~10 ppm before you try adding more fish.

Roan

djmodifyd

AC Members
Jan 26, 2006
Bondurant, IA
www.djmodifyd.com
oh..forgot to mention..tested tap water for nitrates.......got 0

so it seems as if the little guys are trying to get rid of nitrites...there was just so much of it..its taking a while?

remember...i had very high ammonia...like 3 or 4 when i added the bio spira....they brough it down to 0 in 2 days....that is why my nitrite is so high then right?

thanks for answering all of my noob question!

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
If it been 3 days since addign bio-spira it's safe to do a 75% water change.

Seems like the nitrite eaters are taking a little longer to multiply, but they will get there soon. Keep up the water testing and changes untill you are at nitrite 0.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store