yet another fishless cycle question from me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mistermog

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
Space Coast, FL
Ok, long story short.

Put in seeded filter into my canister filter, established bacteria to eat ammonia quickly. 10 days later I can consume 3-4 ppm in about 12-14 hours consistently.

However, my nitrites and nitrates have not budged since day 2.

Nitrites are at 2.0
Nitrates are at 20
(using the api master kit)

They have not moved for almost 2 weeks now, and I am dosing 3ish ppm ammonia daily and it is always consumed.

What could be going on? Shouldnt something else be happening if my ammonia is being eaten so fast?

:help:

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
When you say "consumed" do you mean it goes down to zero or, it just goes down?

Cluunox

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
home.comcast.net
you would think your trates would rise anyway. do you have plants that could be keeping trates down while trites are being consumed?
do you have any cartredges in filter carbon or something that could be absorbing the trites and trates?

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
Do you think that there is a nitrite spike after adding the ammonia and it is dropping down to 2ppm after 12 hrs?
I noticed doing my fishless cycle, that nitrites would raise every time I added new ammonia and then would lower over the 12 hrs.
The nitrates not raising, I don't have a clue.

Scrufdog

Everyone's breeding but me.
Apr 12, 2009
Essex, MD
just to make sure, did you treat the water with something before it got to the filter? Maybe some chlorine in the tap water killed off some bacteria?

mistermog

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
Space Coast, FL
Yes, i double dose prime for the chloramines. The ammonia bacteria is still doin its thing like a champ, its the other ones... the ones i call nitrobstrds :)

also, i did a water change about a week ago, and theres no difference before or after. (i added the ammonia for that days dose after the change).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store