yet another flickering bulb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
I tried searching for threads talking about the same problem, but couldn't find any where the person has tried replacing both the ballast and the bulb to no avail. It's a standard 48" single fluorescent strip light. I don't notice any wetness anywhere on the fixture, have tried wiggling the ballast and bulb, and it just keeps flickering. It's a little under a year old. Any suggestions?
Thanks

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If you have replaced both the bulb/tube/lamp and the ballast, the only thing left to suspect and fix, is the wiring connections to the switch and maybe the plug.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Yea the ballast is the same exact thing, same text on it and everything. Checked all the cord on the outside... suppose I'll open it up and take a look on the inside.
Isn't the starter in the ballast generally?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Depends on your fixture.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
The only time I had this problem, was when I used a t8 bulb for a t12 fixture I bought. But weird enough I did the same thing 1.5yrs prior to that and run them without problems. So fixtures work great ( still using them), and 2 others didnt. So I am at 50/50

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
That round white thing is a starter - for the older technology magnetic ballasts.
Newer tech, uses electronic ballasts that are connected to the power and to the lamp. No starter needed.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Agreed^
What you thought was the ballast is indeed actually the starter. The ballast is usually inside the fixture out of sight.
This is what a typical ballast looks like for most standard T8 fixtures.
images.jpg

images.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store