yet another flickering bulb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
new fixtures do not use starters.
If yours is old enough to still use a starter and a magnetic ballast, I'd look into an updated fixture.

the new ones are more efficient, and there's no starters to replace

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Look at the old starter and make sure you replace it with the same exact one. A different number won't work, I've accidentally done this before.

I have two or three of these old lamps, I plan on replacing them as they wear out because the newer electronic ones really are nicer...more efficient, don't get hot (so no need for vents) and also a bit lighter weight.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Well thank you all for clearing that up for me. I actually had a few of the newer models, some SolarmaxHE, and still do on my other tank, and had two of the four stop working on me... As I never had that problem growing up with the older models, I decided to go back to one of those. I don't get what the problem is around here, never had mechanical issues before but now in my own house, in a different state, I've had 3/5 light fixtures go bad and 4/6 heaters go bad as well, all brand new known brands...

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Good point, although only one of mine hums it is quite annoying!
If you teach it the words to the song the hum won't be quite so annoying. :D

I agree that you need to check the house wiring. The voltage or the cycles (Mhz) might be off. 3/5 is pretty strong indicator in support of that thought.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If you're relatively new to your house, some electrical utilities will do an energy audit, that includes some wire checking.

I was aghast at our bill when we first moved in. They sent someone very quickly. The tester found one of the incoming wires (buried line, before the meter) was leaking current. Not enough to do anything to anything, or needing anything done for it. He guessed the installer nicked the insulation when burying the line. He also found out why our bill was so high. I didn't know de-humidifiers cost soooooo much to run. Or that they only needed to run part time after the first couple of weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store