Yet another stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
I have a regular 30 gallon tank and after being reminded how personable goldfish are, I think I want one. A 30 g is only good for one fancy, right? Two would be pushing it too much?

If only one goldfish, is there anything I could put in the tank with it? I think a tank that size would look a little desolate with just one fish!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
There aren't many coldwater fish that would be bigger than it's mouth and still fit, I think you could only do it and some mystery snails.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I'm going to be yelled at for saying this but I'll do it anyways. Most people will completely disagree with what I am going to tell you.
I've been in the situation where I started 5 1" goldfish and a 2" pleco in a 20gal tank expecting to up-size in less than a year to a 105 gallon tank. Then I got laid-off from my job and had to move. Needless to say the plan didn't work. Now I didn't want to lose the fish and as I was in a new area didn't know anybody to give them too. So this is what I did.

Increased the amount of gravel in the tank to 2 inches deep.
Added a larger capacity hanging filter on the back of the tank.
Put in the largest bubble wand I could find.
Switched to pelletized food as soon as they could fit it in their mouths.
Limited feeding to once every other day.

They grew well, had no issues with disease, and my water quality was excellent. I had to leave them in this tank for 3 years until I got back on my feet. I didn't lose a single fish.

Now is this the best environment for these fish? Probably not. But it is not the end of the world if you lightly overstock but treat them right. I however only have Comets and Classics no Fancy's. So with a 30 gallon tank you could risk 2 more goldfish. You'll just have to be extra diligent on keeping the water quality good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store