You can't do that with an acrylic tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gpaaib

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Irvine, California
So I stop in a local fish store last night, (well actually it's about 15 miles from home but I was in the area) and had a look around. I came across one of those 3D backgrounds and thought, "Wow, that would look cool in my tank."

I started inquiring about it and he said what size tank do you have? I said it will be going in a 90g acrylic. He said sorry you're out of luck, you can't put those in acrylic tanks. I asked why and his reply was, "You just can't!"

Hahaha! YOU JUST CAN'T?

What, it won't fit? It melts the acrylic?

Does anyone have a more definitive answer as to why I can't?

Thanks!

Gary

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of background are you referring to? Link?

gpaaib

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Irvine, California
What kind of background are you referring to? Link?
I don't have a link but it is a foam core 3d background about an inch thick that makes the back of your tank look like a wall of rock. I believe it was called canyon rock.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I don't know if all acrylic tanks are the same but mine only has 2 openings about 17 in by 7 inch so theres no way I could do it. Maybe they are thinking the same. I'm sure there has to be open top acrylics though.

gpaaib

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Irvine, California
ummmm, yeah right.

the only two things that I know that can melt acrylic is heat, and solvents.

If its just foam (and it should be) using aquarium silicone to attach it wont melt the tank. Foam cannot melt acrylic.
This was my thoughts. Talking to the guy was like talking to a brick wall... :grinyes:

simplyorange

shrimplet
Sep 30, 2007
Sacramento, Cali
if the opening is small you'll have to make it or cut it in smaller pieces to fit.
i think acrylic is harder to silicone? i know i've heard scoring or roughing the contact points helps adhere the silicone. and i've only siliconed two acrylic pieces together which was simply a table that was just under the water surface and one of the legs was loose.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I am thinking like Ice, that the openings may get blocked in the top, but it wouldn't be that big of an obstacle to overcome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store