You mess with my cucumber, you mess with me. Bye Bye Mantis.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I have been hearing that ominous clicking sound we all dread and then saw the face of the little bugger. It was a mantis. I tried to trap it - unsuccessfully. Then I tried to stuff a shell in his cave hole thinking at least he couldn't get out to hurt anyone.

Well...today I looked up and saw my cucumber vomiting out his intestines. CRAP! I siphoned out the excretions and panic-like started researching more about what to do. My guy is not supposed to be toxic but it is still not possible to be calm when you think all your babies might die. Including my cucumber who I really like!

The cuke has been acting fine until now...what could have scared it so bad? Hmmmm. Investigation yielded big fat escapee Mantis shrimp holing up right next to my innocent little cucumber. :angryfire:

Pulled out his rock, tried to get him out with bait, with water pressure...nothing. Finally resorted to the boiling water technique. Two and a half inches of mantis came out. I'll post pictures later. Another shrimp (id unknown) also came out AND a baby gorilla crab.

Now if everyone else can just survive the trauma. Including me. I cut my finger in the process.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
What is the boiling water technique? Glad you got him out.
Take the rock out and put into another container full of SW water. Boil freshwater. Pour boiling water into his secret liar (his hiding hole). He came tumbling out the other side. Unfortunately, this is a last resort method. I can't imagine any creature surviving it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store