You will not believe this: Arapaima Gigas in our stormdrain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Luc, it's terrible about all the flooding, but that's one beautiful fish! Keep us posted. And take a net whenever you go outside! lol

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
WOW! Thats a big fish! I hope you can find a place for it. Hey, this might be an excuse to make a backyard pond or something.
It sure is..on the way to factory now, see if it survived the night. Will be a factory pond if we can or will keep it...garden too small for now.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Luc, it's terrible about all the flooding, but that's one beautiful fish! Keep us posted. And take a net whenever you go outside! lol
Thanks, was quite an adventure for 2 months, now finally a clean and dry factory and house again. Will post some better pictures of it soon.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Just got to work. Giga still there, looks ok at first sight, just quite, hovering.
Will make some pics of where it was for at least a month. That storm drain is as filthy as you can imagine. The floodwaters here where like stenching black water. Very big industrial estate and all under 2 meters of water, so you can only imagine how polluted.
Then ending up in that storm drain for a month, no aeration at all but plenty of smaller fish to feed on. Wow... That makes you wonder about filtration really necessary in the amounts we all do on our tanks...lol.

For now, waiting for my partner to come in, then see if we can free some workers to stack sandbags. Put the trailer cover in it and fill up.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Ok, getting started...building a 2x2 meter pond, trying to bring it to about 60 to 70 cm water, which would give a total of 2400 to 2800 liter of water.
Sandbag walls, vertical on the inside, sloping on the outside. Big sail folded double inside and stopgap ready for now. Checking for sun. Might just put a couple of party tents over it for shade.
Use on of the drain pumps for circulation and aeration. Should get us through a couple of days before deciding on the next step.
Hopefully get the pond ready this morning, then filling it.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Sounds like a plan. I just realized that you are in a totally different time zone. I have that happen to me with my aunt and uncle in china. They wake up in the middle of the night to take care of one of the babies and they browse the web or turn on their computer to play a lullabye song or something. Then I call them on skype and they are tired and want to stop talking.

Anyway, dont want to sway the topic here.

I read 2x2 meter pond and thought of something small. But that is 6.5 feet in each direction. That is a decent size thing for just being temporary.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Did those sandbags come in handy for a change...lol.
But indeed, remembered having plenty of old cable racks. They look like metal stairs.
Will use a bunch of them to build a sunshade and lay them over the pond to prevent it from jumping out.

It's shaping up. Next, an appropriate name. That will be a matter for the workers.

Then the next step is to ask HQ if we can use some funds to build a pond for it...
That would likely be a 3x5 meter concrete pond, 1 meter into the ground and 1 above. Thin wall, only to keep the shape intact. The above ground section supported with sloping soil then grass to hold it.
Water at 1.5 to 1.6 meter and wire mesh with orchids and other plants above that on 3 sides.
Topped with sunshade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store