Your Biggest Newb Mistake?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChiefXP

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I think it would add a little bit of humor to the forums if we had a threat for the "Biggest" Newbie mistakes. I mean come on guys, if you are having a rough night you can log on here and read what all the morons have done, just to make yourself feel better from others misfortunes.

Heck, I'll Start!

I was cleaning out my 10 gallon (my first tank, about 6-7 months ago) and I had an Electric Yellow, Jack Dempsey, Common Pleco, and a Black Convict. Yeah a strange variety, but they seemed to get along! And when I was cleaning it out I noticed I had a lot of hardwater stains on my AC 150 lid. It was like even my water was covered in hard water stains. So anyways, I unplug and take my filter over to the sink, and I cleaned the ENTIRE thing out... (Note this is after running the gravel vacuum over every square inch of the place) I cleaned the filter media and all...

Couple days or maybe it was a week later, all my fish died... Musta cleared out all the healthy bacteria.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I wouldn't call anyone who made a mistake with aquaria and fishkeeping a "moron", just because of the fact that we all made mistakes when we first started out. I dont consider myself a moron, I dont know about what standards you hold to yourself though...;)

Anyway, my biggest mistake when I first started out was I left my aquariums in the care of a friend, who while I could trust in my home while I was away, knew nothing about fishkeeping! :rolleyes:

This "friend" wound up causing the loss of 5 expensive (at the time) fish and a major re-cycling of the tank. I had to remove everything out of the tank and start over again. I found TONS of flake food in the filter pads which is evidence that my fish were way overfed! :eek:

Hpisavage21

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
Yonkers NY
Visit site
Added Ammonia to my tank, yeah I know its alright to cycle and that was what I was doing but I added one that was colored and had a "lemon" perfume.:confused:

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Completely filling my 75g up with fish within 2 days after putting water in and then wondering why all the fish were dying.

the other would be that I used to assume that fish could recover from serious infections all on their own. :shake:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Heh...

My biggest mistake...

Gee....

<counts the scars from fish with teeth, rocks with points, and heaters that get WAY too hot on her hands...>

I think my biggest mistake was when I was trying to move my raphael, who was 15 years old, btw, into a new tank.... barehanded. Hard to grab a 9-inch fish with your bare hands anyhow (he was way too big for my net), and I had no clue what the little bugger was capable of... I grabbed him around the midsection, and he grunted, then squeezed his fins down onto my hand, digging the little spines in the end about a quarter inch deep into my fingers....

Turns out they secrete a mild toxin along with their other body slime... and my hand was the size of a softball by morning....

ChiefXP

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I am glad my fish are still small!

belmont0182

AC Members
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
ok my story will prob. be one of the worst on the forum...please dont yell at me!!

so the first mistake i did was buy a 10 gallon kit from meijer(local supercenter) it came with a crapy heater that kinda worked and a filter that didnt work at all.

so the day after i set it up i was like ok, so lets go all out!! i think i bought like 15 fish, all but one slowly died off, it was so bad and i feel really bad for killing that many fish.

after buying a really nice power filter and a new heater my tank is much better, i also have healthy 5 gallon and 2 gallon tanks.

net_shark512

Useless Chit Chat Posts 999,999
Dec 15, 2002
Whitehall,Pa
Visit site
I was cleaning out my 10 gallon (my first tank, about 6-7 months ago) and I had an Electric Yellow, Jack Dempsey, Common Pleco, and a Black Convict
You had more problems than just cleaning your filter with those fish in a 10 gallon. We all do it. When I started I had a bala shark in a 10 gallon all he did was run into the glass and jump at the lid.:shake:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store