Your Favorite Personable Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pajankiegal

Fishy.
Jan 28, 2005
Washington
www.pajankie.net
What fish actually recognizes you and greets you when you come to the door? =)

I personally like Bettas..my first and only betta will just stand there almost floating in mid-air whenever I want to check his fins/look over his health. And then when I try to take a picture he always swims away to the back of the tank! Fun stuff ;) He also waits for me to drop that oh-so-delicious food--he knows it's *bad* to jump. Lol. xD

Anyway, looking forward to your responses!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I don't own any at the moment but the oscars I've kept in the past were by far the most personable and aware of me. Very intellegent fish.

hurdledude1298

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
michigan
my pufffers always come to the corner of the tank when i come in and swim up and down and then stand there and they look like they smile at me

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
I've owned two very personable fish. Well three but tied for first and second place would be my Oscar and my Pacu. I had a Pacu which was incredible. Huge amounts of personality. Had to give him back to the LFS and then I found out through someone at the store that they put him in a plastic bag and threw him in a dumpster the day I brought it in :( I asked them if they'd take care of him and they said yes... Obviously their thought of the word 'care' was different. Poor critter. My oscar was a great fish too. Had him for about 8 years.

My last one that I'd say has personality is my Angelfish. He's great too but not like the oscar or pacu.

StacieA

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
Washington, DC
My Betta's are definately the friendliest fish I have. They both rush to the front of their tanks when they see me and both of them will eat bloodworms right from my hand. Billy the Betta sits on my desk at work and watches me. Sometimes he'll look at me then go work on his never ending bubble nest and then rush back to the front of the tank as if to say 'Hey Stac, look what I did. :D ' lol

bdobosz

Jan 2, 2005
I have a common pleco that is pretty personable. As soon as I enter the room he starts making his way up the front of the glass and will eat out of my hand now. He does kind of a funny trick where he will float on his back and leave his mouth out of the waters to suck up bloodworms and flakes for the other fish. Very funny to watch from such a large fish.

His personality and turst with my hand in the tank has pretty much made every thing in my tank pretty personable now.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
all my fish except my tetras come to greet me. My loaches I feel have the most personality. they are like dogs. My angelfish I raised from a wee little spec seems to like me to. although its all probably a show to make me happy and give them food.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
The most personable fish I have is a betta. It is not scared of me or other people like most other fishes in my tank. When I change the water, it will go to my hand and curiously explore what I am doing. It is always begging for food and will come to me whenever I look at the tank.

pikwik

Fish Are Friends
Jun 13, 2005
Surrey, BC
When I was 13, I had an Oscar that would actually let me pet it. I am not kidding!! It would come to the top of the tank and just float there while I rubbed the top of its head. It was pretty cool!!! Now I have 2 German rams that are pretty curious. They always come to see me when I'm near the tank.

PurpleSmurf

AC Members
May 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
purplesmurf.com
My bettas are all pretty big on personality. I just woke them up to take some pictures and Aquaman scolded me! Hehe, it was really cute.

They sleep with their upper heads and mouth out of the water, on their sides, atop the floating water sprite in the tank. I pushed Aquaman a bit to get him going and he took a few seconds to sort of figure things out before zooming to the glass right at me.

I made up for it by giving them food, so all is well now.

Hehe. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store