Yoyo loach as snail control.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noble

AC Members
Jun 9, 2011
I am sick of these snails in my tank! No matter how many I pull out there's a hundred more the next day. So I was thinking of getting a single yoyo to drop in my 5.5g tank to get rid of them and after it's clean move him into my bigger tank with a couple of friends. My only problem is.... Is he going to munch all my cherry shrimp? I can move them out so he can do his thing but I'd rather not.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've never personally mixed yoyos and shrimp but most likely young ones will be eaten at the very least. Please don't get a fish just to do a job...

How are you removing them? How often and what are you feeding? What is your maintenance like?

If you are too add anything, consider assassin snails.

noble

AC Members
Jun 9, 2011
i cant find assassins here in australia. at the moment im sucking them out when i gravel vac and netting them out when i see them floating around. i feed the tank once every 2 or 3 days and im doing a pwc every 2 or 3 days just to keep the water good for when the berried shrimp hatch.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
if the tank is just 5.5 gallons, why not just clean out the tank real good, dry it out really good, and set up your shrimp tank or whatever it is again. the snails probably won't survive that procedure.

AlyssaKay

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Woodland, CA
lottatanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Alyssa Kay
IMX, the best fish to do the job is a skunk botia or a clown loach - get them as babies - 4 or 5, and they will wipe out ANY snail infestation. However it can take a while and they can target other things like fry or shrimp (although the snails are their FAV food ever) and they will need to be sure to get any baby snails (live bearing snails can take the longest). If you want to go this route, I'd set up a temp bowl or tank for the shrimp just to be safe - or just do a cleaning, but if they are a live bearing snail - ANY water from the old tank can harbor snails to restart the infestation though it will take a while for them to grow big enough for you to see.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I wouldn't use clowns in a 5.5 gal tank even as babies they would be cramped. I know snails can be frustrating but the clean out of the tank sounds like a better option.

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
Tank is way to small to use loaches for snail controll, a loach large enough to do the job would not have enough room to swim. Not to mention they should always be in a group.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store