yoyo loaches and apple snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
what would an adult yoyo loach do to a golfball sized blue apple snail? I know they eat small snails, but what about large ones? Can the two species coexist? Thanks!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I have three large snails in my tank and the yoyos don't bother them.

Mark

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I had a large apple snail in my tank, and the yoyo's bothered it enough that it wouldnt come out of its shell so I moved it and it has been fine ever since. Just depends on how aggressive the yoyo's are I suppose.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
jodimartin2003 said:
I had a large apple snail in my tank, and the yoyo's bothered it enough that it wouldnt come out of its shell so I moved it and it has been fine ever since. Just depends on how aggressive the yoyo's are I suppose.
or maybe how hungry? :D

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I woudl guess it also depends on how many loaches you have. A larger group would probably be more aggressive and willing to tackle something so large.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Yeah, I have 5 yoyos and 2 zebras, so as a group they may have been more menacing. If you do try it, just keep a good eye out and make sure the snail is pretty large. If the snail starts staying in his shell for pretty long periods of time, I would find him a new tank. Now that I have moved my snail, he is hardly ever in his shell. So I am pretty sure it was the loaches that were upsetting him. I witnessed them "cleaning" his shell so maybe they werent trying to actually eat him, but they bothered him none the less. BTW..the snail I am talking about is close to tennis ball sized. A golf ball sized snail may seem easier to eat, so keep a really really good eye on him for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store