Yoyo loaches may need help in an uncycled tank - advice needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dalto

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
My wife has 11 danios and 3 Yoyo loaches in a 55 gallon tank that is not cycled. She thought it was cycled and added more fish which of course generated a substantial bio-load. I added bio-spira two days ago and the tank is now cycling but current readings are .5 Ammonia and .25 nitrites. We have PH > 8.0. I am most worried about the loaches because I do not know how hardy they are. I have another tank that is cycled that I could move them into temporarily but I am unsure if that movement back and forth would stress them more than all the nitrogen they are currently dealing with. The water chemistry in both tanks should be similiar except for the ammonia and nitrites. Water changes do not help as my tap water has a high ammonia content.

Should I move the loaches or have them tough it out where they are? What is better for the fish?

Last edited:

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
.5 ammonia and .25 nitrite aren't TOO terribly high. just keep up with water changes and they should be fine until the tank finishes cycling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store