Yucky stuff after water change...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
It isn't just micro-organisms. It is minerals also.

There is also oftentimes a concern for the lack of buffers for GH/KH which means the PH can swing quite a bit. But if you are getting less dead fish now then before this probably isn't a big problem in your tank.

Maybe some others can give you better feedback on that one. Not sure how much would be good to mix if your tap water was that bad. Personally I haven't had any trouble with using tap water.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I use sponges in one of my filters and fiberfill in the other. The fiberfill I need to replace every couple of months, but my sponges I just rinse clean in tank water and put back in. A waste of money to do otherwise : ) I have had the same sponges for many months at a time
: )

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
You can also use stuff like seachem's replenish or equilibrium to add the minerals back to the tank. You don't have to strickly go back to tap water if you don't feel confident about it. Most of us just pour straight tap water in our tanks while adding the appropriate amount of conditioner. Maybe you had an underlying problem that you weren't aware of that lead to the death of your fish and algae problems? For instance, was the tank cycled before you added fish?

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
Most of us just pour straight tap water in our tanks while adding the appropriate amount of conditioner.
Reallly????? ive been doing water changes in my tank 2gals at a time, ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

rvr9999

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I'll probably look into adding the trace minerals with a product like Plague mentioned rather than going back to tap water. I don't know why the tap water didn't work, but I don't want to tempt fate. I have not had one fatality using RO, but ensuring they have these extra minerals by adding them sounds better than risking losing fish. Thanks for the advice. I've only been on here a few days and learned something important already! I look forward to learning more! PS-Is anyone else having trouble connecting to AC today? I have to try twice each time because the connection times out. Just wondering.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Put a fine net in front of the filter return when you turn it back on.

rvr9999

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Good idea, Slappy!

What are your thoughts of using aquarium salt vs. Replenish? I did some research and it seems like the same minerals are being delivered, and according to Seachem, Replenish is a "proprietary blend of salts" anyway.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd use Seachem Equilibrium, myself. Salt (NaCl) isn't really needed in freshwater. If you're just trying to replace lost minerals in RO water, Equilibrium is the way to go. Otherwise, tap is perfectly fine unless yours is of poor quality.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
It's really the minerals that are extracted. That's why long term it will actually hurt your fish without adding them back in. Alot of people use it...just use a conditioner that adds back in the good stuff!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store