Yup. Another lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
I'm getting ready to ditch the silk plants and venture into live plants. Do I need to upgrade my existing lights in order to grow low light plants, such as anubias, java fern, java moss?

I have a 2.5 gallon tank and a 6.6 gallon tank. Both currently have single 15 watt bulbs. If I need to switch to a higher bulb(s), what should they be?

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Honestly from what I've been reading, 2wpg is all you need to grow plants, so 15 watts is over kill for the 2.5, but perfect for the 6.6 gallon! But feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Are these incandescent or fluorescent bulbs?
Hm. I have no idea. How do you tell? They don't seem to say.

In the 2.5 gallon, I currently have a 15 watt bulb by Marina. It's just labeled "Aquarium Light Bulb." It's about 6" long, and you screw it in on one side.

In the 6.6 gal, the bulb that came with it is a 15 watt bulb that is labeled "Aqua Ace Bioplant". It might be fluorescent - the number on it says FL15BR. This one looks like a fluorescent bulb - about 18" long, and clips in at both ends.

Which is better, and what are good wattages for my needs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store