Zebra Danio Weird Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishguy1900

Registered Member
Mar 11, 2005
I had 3 Danios, zebras and 1 leopard in a 10 gal. Yesterday, I bought a new zebra danio to add to the 3. The weird thing is that the 3 older danios now swim in the right bottom corner of my tank, they just stay in that little corner and don't swim around the tank like they did before. The new zebra I introduced, however, is at the opposite left top corner of the tankand only stays in the top corner! It's weird that they singled out the new zebra and won't let it school with them. Any of you guys have this kind of problem when a new fish is kicked out of the school?

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
after a few days they all ended up schoolingtogether from my experiance ..itslike addinga new person to your click you kinda keep them at distance thenn eventuallyits likethey were always there

fishguy1900

Registered Member
Mar 11, 2005
Thanks for the advice. But the weird thing is they only display this behavior when a person is in the room. Everytime I enter my room, they were schooling just before but when I look at them they go back to isolating themselves. Weird for danios I guess.

bryan905

george
Mar 7, 2005
somewhere
answer/ question

fishguy1900 said:
I had 3 Danios, zebras and 1 leopard in a 10 gal. Yesterday, I bought a new zebra danio to add to the 3. The weird thing is that the 3 older danios now swim in the right bottom corner of my tank, they just stay in that little corner and don't swim around the tank like they did before. The new zebra I introduced, however, is at the opposite left top corner of the tankand only stays in the top corner! It's weird that they singled out the new zebra and won't let it school with them. Any of you guys have this kind of problem when a new fish is kicked out of the school?
If the new danio is bigger that the other three they will seperate into territories to stay away from each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store