Zebra Musscles in a fresh water community?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

l.MetalHead.l

UnRegistered User
May 7, 2006
would they work like a clean up crew? Any ideas?

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
until they start to colonize your filter and clog/break it. I'd check the local laws about transporting them. I'd guess that it's illegal to do anything but murder them on sight.

They're prolific and will send larvae throughout the tank. You'll find them all over in no time.

Don't do it, but that's just my opinion.

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I was looking at getting mussles in my tank and asked the question here.

Following the replys and some research I found that the larvae 'hitch a ride' on your fish. This is, in effect, a parasite.

That was enough to put me off.

You might want to consider clams, but when they die you dont know until your ammonia goes through the roof. Not good either.

I ended up sticking with Shrimp and ADFs to get variety in, and cant say I'm sorry at all!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I'm pretty sure you'd be dumping larvae into your local water system with each water change...which I'm sure breaks many local, state & federal regulations.

There are bamboo shrimp which filter feed...a legal, buyable option for you.

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
We have heebie jeebies on this side of the pond, too, so I know what you mean. I thought my amano shrimp were freakie at first, too, but I've grown fond of the little aliens!

l.MetalHead.l

UnRegistered User
May 7, 2006
can some one send me a link on how zebra musscles send larva

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store