Zebra query?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
Hi guys have seen lots of people talking about zebra plecs if you were breeding them what size tank would you need and would you have to have several and let them pair up naturally?They are gorgeous fish but as they are so expensive i want to do as much research as possible any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.Many thanks.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Try zebrapleco.com, lots of experts there. You can get a breeding group of 5-6 of them and actually breed them in something as small as a 20H or 29, as long as you supply lots of slate caves. Most people that I've heard of buy a group of 5-8 smallish fish, that way you're pretty much guaranteed to get some mix of male and female. The smaller ones can be had for $100-250 each, but they take a few years to get to breeding size. You can buy a group of proven breeders, but expect to pay $5-10k for the group. Serious investment.

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
Ouch, thats a lot i am really interested but i think i should start trying to breed plecos that are a bit cheaper to get the experience can anyone suggest a pleco to start with. They would need to be able to breed in a 55g so no monsters:)

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Bristlenose are cheap and apparently fairly easy. They get 4-5" as well, so a group in a 55 is definitely doable. They also reach sexual maturity sooner. I have 6 in my 55 community right now, although now that I can sex them I might pull out a trio into my 30 and see if they'll spawn.

aquapants

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
portland, me
OOO! You have a zebra pleco?! Those are incredible. (and, yeah, SUPER expensive!) If you got that going, you could probably fund all your aquariums off it. Good luck!

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
No i don't have one yet but i will when i have the money for a group could be a couple of years saving but boy will it be worth it!

Bristlenoses are so cute i saw some about 1/2'' big at the weekend will definitaly be looking into them .Thanks for the good advice as usual.

Barbie

Fishaholic
Bristlenose would be good fish to start with in order to learn how to feed the fry enough without polluting the tank and what not. I'd have to then recommend practicing with Hypancistrus sp. "queen arabesque" (L260) or another type of Hypancistrus to get the experience working with the different fish. Hypancistrus need totally different cave shapes, diets, and water conditioning triggers from most Ancistrus, IME.

Barbie

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Barbie, you mentioned that Hypancistrus need different cave shapes. Being new to the pleco community, could you please enlighten me a little bit ? I've got an ABN, 2 L399/400, 3 L333 (fry), 1 L254, and an L015. Do they all need different cave shapes ? Thanx.

crazycanuck

The quitter never wins
Mar 10, 2008
ontario,canada
yea id practice with some BN before spending the 100 bucks each on the zebras :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store