Zebrafish bloated belly and fast mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
I have a friend with a pink zebra fish, she sent me a photo and a video if it, and it has some serious problems can someone please tell me how to help her? We are both in 5th grade so she had no idea it was in danger
It seems to have edema/constipation, its belly is VERY bloated. But the worst part is the mouth, its moving very fast and gasping like its being electrocuted, it looks pretty agitated, its gills are also very fast, i did some research i think its either lack of oxygen or a spike in water toxins, any information on how i can help her would be greatly appreciated, ill ask her about her tank and update the post with more information in time, for now here are the photo, i do not know how to send the video because there isonly a photo option but as i said its mouth and gills are moving very very fast

IMG-20201118-WA0047.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's hard to say for sure. It could have been fed low quality foods, overfed, or kept in a tank that never saw water changes.

IMO, all you can do now is not do those things and monitor the fish, or place the effected fish in it's own quarantine tank for observation.

Reactions: Sprinkle

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
It's hard to say for sure. It could have been fed low quality foods, overfed, or kept in a tank that never saw water changes.

IMO, all you can do now is not do those things and monitor the fish, or place the effected fish in it's own quarantine tank for observation.
Update on the zebrafish i asked my friend if any toxins had come in contact with the water and if she was changing it, she changed the water enough and nothing questionable had come in contact with the water so first i thought maybe it had no oxygen so i told her to aerate the water (turns out she WASNT since she had the aquarium, im surprised they didnt all suffocate) , and it actually worked. Mouth problem is solved, now moving on to the belly, she showed another zebra in the video and it seemed to be a little bloated too but not as bad as the pink one. Now i am thinking about dropsy or constipation, are there any other diseases you know that can cause such a bloating? And what are their causes?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Lack of air? Is there an airstone or a filter in the tank? That’s NO 1, NO 2, is the tank cycled? What are her water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? When was a water change las done?

Bulging eyes, known as pop eye, which is caused by injury, fungus or poor water quality. Best cure is to use some aquarium salt.

The bloat can be constipation or dropsy. How long is it on the fish? Are the scales pineconing? If not, its not dropsy then constipation. Fast all the fish for 3 days, if the bloat persists do an epsom salt bath for 20 minutes and feed the fish high quality foods like fluval bug bites, frozen daphnia, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, mosquito larvae and black worms.
What are the fish currently fed and how much?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store