ZeoCarbon Questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
One of my canister filters has "ZeoCarbon". I don't know much about this nor do I know where to buuy replacement if I need it. Do I need to replace it periodically or is it okay to leave?

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:) If I'm not mistaken, it's a combination of zeolite & carbon. 2 products that filter mfgs. used to package seperately. Yes, replacement is necessary (effective only 3/4 wks.) You can live quite well without it. Save it for med. removal. Add more bio or mech to fill the void. "T"

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Yup yup, I completely agree. Carbon is pretty much useless. Dont waste your money on it

Dave-ZZ4

AC Members
Feb 22, 2007
Schaumburg, IL
Well I wouldn't say it's a "waste". It all depends on your location and your local water supply conditions. The carbon and Zeocarbon remove impurities or meds in the water. Our local water supply for some reason in the winter is different. When I do a water change the tank will slightly cloud for a few hours then become crystal clear. If I did not use the carbon it would stay slightly cloudy for a day or two. In the summer months the water stays clear all the time even without carbon. I suspect they add or increase something in the water during the winter. Also if you have well water it can help as well.

If your water supply is good or you let the water sit out before a water change, then carbon doesn't matter.

As for changing it, Which canister filter do you have?

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
As for changing it, Which canister filter do you have?
I am using an AquaEl Unimax 150 PRO (which is where the ZeoCarbon is located on the 2nd tray, of 3 trays.) and a Magnum 350 PRO with biowheels.

Dave-ZZ4

AC Members
Feb 22, 2007
Schaumburg, IL

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
Quick question about the marineland if anyone knows. There is a basket in the marineland that is supposed to be filled with carbon, has anyone filled it with any sort of bio media (aka bio balls) etc.? Or should I just leave it empty, seems like a waste.

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
If it is a place that water flows through and you can contain the media properly, more media is always a good idea. Please note there were 2 "If" statements in that sentence. If (number 3 ) you can't meet both conditions, biomedia would not be a good idea.

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
If it is a place that water flows through and you can contain the media properly, more media is always a good idea. Please note there were 2 "If" statements in that sentence. If (number 3 ) you can't meet both conditions, biomedia would not be a good idea.
I'm not sure if you are too familiar with the magnum filters, but there is a basket that is completely contained that is usually filled with carbon so you can imagine that large bio balls would have no trouble being contained. The water has no choice but to run through the basket before exiting, in fact, that is something that marineland advertises. So I believe that this would work just fine.

Has anyone else done this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store