zeolite and ammonia/chloramine in tap water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mags77

Registered Member
Feb 26, 2010
Hi everybody,

I have a situation where I have ammonia (due to chloramine) in high pH [8.5] tap water.

Under normal circumstances, I'd just treat with prime and do water changes. However, I have goldfish and snails. So, nitrates are always an issue, because the goldies are messy, and the snails are sensitive to the 'trates. I've only got two juvie goldies and I don't overfeed. They get hand fed some pellets for one minute minutes five days a week, and 3-5 days a week they get a spoonful of duckweed.

I'm already having to do 30% water changes twice a week in my 29 gallon _heavily_ planted tank, with spathyphyllum and pothos growing out the HOB, just to keep the nitrate under 25 ppm.

My thought is that having ammonium in the tap water, even locked up with prime/amquel/whatever, is really not helping my nitrate issue. I tried setting a container treated with prime aside and growing some pothos out of it, but it just doesn't suck it up fast enough. It takes over two weeks.

So my new idea is sticking a piece of hosiery with some zeolite in it to prepare it for the PWCs. What I'm not sure about is whether the zeolite will suck up bound ammonium, chloramine, or only free ammonia.

So the actual question is:

Does zeolite clear chloramine?
If not, does it clear bound ammonium?
If not, is there a product that will break apart chloramine, but not bind the free ammonia?

Thanks so much for any help!
Rachel

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm not sure I would consider 25 ppm nitrate an issue

mags77

Registered Member
Feb 26, 2010
The information I have with the snails is to aim for 10 ppm or less. They seem to be mostly ok at 25, but if it ever approaches 40 they hide in their shells and crawl out of the water (nerites).

My gut is that 25 is tolerable but not awesome for them.

The other piece that I failed to mention is that there is some algae that is kind of a burden to the plants, so I want to keep it lower for that reason as well.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
be careful wit too low nitrate as it may lead to more algae issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store