Zero Nitrates: Healthy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Nitrates have always been 0 in my 1 1/2 year old, heavily planted tank. A LFS advised me to add a nitrate supplement for the good of my plants. Is this generally advisable, and if so, what would I use? Thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Nitrates at zero is not good for a planted tank. There are many sourses for nitrates. LFS sells Kent, ect. You can always go dry ferts too.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Nitrates are just another nutrient your plants will use. Are you seeing any nutrient deficiencies in your plants? What about algae problems? How many watts per gallon are you running and do you use co2 at all? Also, what kinds of plants are you growing?

Without knowing the answers to above I can say if Nitrates are kept within acceptable levels (I'd say between 10-15ppm) your plants will probably benefit. But more information would help provide you with an answer acceptable for your tank.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
www.rexgrigg.com has all kinds of dry ferts for dirt cheap.

But to answer your question, verify that your doing your test right. If your test kit is at least somewhat accurate, add some Potassium Nitrate ASAP. You should be noticing yellowing leaves if you have a lack of nitrate.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Nitrates are just another nutrient your plants will use. Are you seeing any nutrient deficiencies in your plants? What about algae problems? How many watts per gallon are you running and do you use co2 at all? Also, what kinds of plants are you growing?

Without knowing the answers to above I can say if Nitrates are kept within acceptable levels (I'd say between 10-15ppm) your plants will probably benefit. But more information would help provide you with an answer acceptable for your tank.
i have a 55 watt Bright Kit on for 10 hrs a day. Along with DIY C02, I dose all three macros, plus Iron, Excel, and traces. There is a large buildup of mulm, which I just leave there (no gravel vaccuuming). Also do a weekly 1/3 water change. Plants are Wysteria, Parrots Feather, Jave Fern, Dwarf Hairgrass, and Rotala Macandra, all of which seem to be doing well, with no signs of yellowing. If its relevant, also have very low KH and ph: 1 and 6.0.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
i have a 55 watt Bright Kit on for 10 hrs a day. Along with DIY C02, I dose all three macros, plus Iron, Excel, and traces. There is a large buildup of mulm, which I just leave there (no gravel vaccuuming). Also do a weekly 1/3 water change. Plants are Wysteria, Parrots Feather, Jave Fern, Dwarf Hairgrass, and Rotala Macandra, all of which seem to be doing well, with no signs of yellowing. If its relevant, also have very low KH and ph: 1 and 6.0.
If you dose the macros, either your not dosing enough or your nitrate test kit is defective. I'd suggest making a known sample of 10ppm nitrate and testing your kit, if its good, then move onto increasing your nitrate addition.

livingword26

AC Members
Dec 5, 2006
Kansas, USA
www.aquariacentral.com
If you have a planted tank that's been up for a year and a half, and your not having any problems, don't mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I recommend reading through Rex's site. He says it well, and it means I don't have to type it.
Just read it! What a great site and boy am I doing everything wrong! :lipssealedsmilie:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store